Monday 28 January 2019

Carry On


Have you ever watched Hercules? I hope I'm thinking of the right movie. It has been a while... The little guy. The one who trains the heroes. I think his name is Philip. Don't quote me on that. But you know who I'm talking about, right? I felt like him this week.

The thought came when I heard a member say, "Elder Thorkelson needs to stretch his wings, and he can't do it in a place like Kloof." I recall my mission president requesting that I allow Elder Harp to stretch his wings as well. That's difficult in a place like this. Yes, there are lessons to learn. But if you find room to fly, you need to fly. It's much like peak hour traffic at a horrible intersection in Jo'burg.

On Tuesday evening, Elder Thorkelson and I were having dinner at a member's house. Another member stopped by to say hello. "Brett thinks all missionaries are called Elder Smith," said the mother. Brett is her three-year-old son. She related an experience with other missionaries on their Christmas vacation.

Oh, and I played soccer on Monday. Guess whose fault that was :P

Greeted my new companion, Elder Bringgold, and said goodbye to Elder Thorkelson on Wednesday. At the terminal, as we loaded his bags, I heard my sister's voice. "Hug him," she said. "It's the last time you'll see him." I didn't. I should listen to my sister. No, she was not really there. Just relate a little.

As you've already guessed, I was still a little sad about the transfer. I was praying all day that it wouldn't be a distraction. So, while looking for a watch (I still don't have a watch, and Elder Bringgold doesn't have one) an investigator I hadn't seen for six weeks passed by and gave me a hug. We caught up, smiled, and will resume meeting on the 9th of January.

We later met an investigator we've been trying to meet with for 12 weeks. Family of seven. Made two contacts as well. And... another experience. We got stuck trying to get out of a steep, steep hill. The tyres were skidding on the loose, dry sand. Put my driving skills to the test, and rallying of much neighbourly hel. And prayer.

That day, these lyrics played in my mind, "Take a sad song, and make it better."

Elder Bringgold complimented my teaching. When he asked, I realised how difficult it was to explain how and why I do what I do. Each situation is different. Each person is different. Each lesson is different. It's difficult to explain.

Thursday morning started with an investigator sending a picture via MMS (see below). Elder Bringgold and I went to help a member move. The daughter of the family, only seven-years-old, shared her sadness in leaving a friend behind. Someone attempted to help by saying, "You'll make new friends." She immediately shot back, "Even though we don't go to school together, we don't forget about each other. We'll just see each other less." She shared a quote from someone's favourite movie, "To infinity and beyond!" "It means keep going forever," she said. The hymn Carry on began playing in my mind. I was reminded of my desire to be a father.

Elder Bringgold also commented on an investigator who included Elder Thorkelson in his closing prayer, "It looks like the two of you did really good work together." Not the first sentiment, however. After observing us for just a couple of hours on Wednesday, he said, "The two of you seemed to have been a really good companionship.

Friday, I struggled. But after much prayer, much singing, and a tender mercy, I was a-okay. Elder Bringgold are on the same page with just about everything. I even met a lady who may have know Elder Tew. That made my day.

Saturday we met a professor of theology who excluded us from his research project when he finally realised the Latter-day Saints are actually Christian. We'll be seeing him again on Wednesday. I also got to speak to my secondborn. Now, to get to my firstborn. I'm improving.

Sunday was an interesting theme. Letting go of the old, and grabbing hold of the new. Speakers shared how privileges are lost when we fail to do what we've said we'd do, and how we're required to forgive all men.

​"Wherefore, I say unto you, that ye ought to forgive one another; for he that forgiveth not his brother his trespasses standeth condemned before the Lord; for there remaineth in him the greater sin. I, the Lord, will forgive whom I will forgive, but of you it is required to forgive all men." - D&C 64:9-10.

​Let us start this new year happy, without any grudges, and ready to carry on.

​Oh, and I was not immune to questions on transfers. Various members approached me, and asked, "Where's the other one?"

"Welkom."

"Why? What did he do wrong?"

"Nothing. I swear."

Or,

​"You keep chasing the oaks away. What are you doing? Or, more appropriately, what are you not doing? Kan hy eers afrikaans praat?"

"Nee, hy wou nie eers geleer het nie."

It was all in good fun, though. Easily resolved. The work continues, and I pray that the Lord blesses you this new year to do what needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment