Monday 28 January 2019

Open Letter

Below is an open letter by a Young Woman responding to a not-so-good experience she had. Her sister shared it with us at a correlation meeting last week.

​---
An open letter to the man who had a lot to say about my #mormsquad shirt.

About a week ago we met as two strangers for the first time. Our conversation started pleasant enough when you asked what the #mormsquad on the back of my jacket meant. When I responded that a friend created "mormsquad" as a way for people in our church to express their faith you then asked what my religion was. It was here that our conversation took an unexpected turn when I said that I was LDS, more commonly known as Mormon.

Being a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints my entire life has completely shaped the way I live. My faith influences what I eat and drink, the words I speak, the way I act and think, and even the way I dress. While it is by no means required to walk around sporting a shirt or jacket that has "#mormsquad" imprinted on it, I choose to do so as a declaration of who I am and my beliefs.

I am a Mormon. My faith has brought me through some of the darkest points of my life and has helped me see the light and goodness in every situation as well as in every person. My faith in a loving father in heaven as well as the atoning sacrifice of his son has formed me into the person I am today; a seeker of light in an ever gloomy world. A conscientious person striving to keep the commandments. As well as a person who cherishes virtue and integrity; who chooses to see the good rather than focus on heartache and sorrow.

In response to your statement, "Mormons. Parading around boasting about how great they are. How can you wear such a thing in public?" I do not mean to seem overly prideful or as if I am boasting of myself. In fact I try to do the exact opposite, for "I know that I am nothing; as to my strength I am weak; therefore I will not boast of myself, but I will boast of my God..." (Alma 26:12). My "parading" around in a piece of clothing saying #mormsquad is not meant to draw attention to myself as a way of saying that I am somehow better than anyone, and although I am more than happy to answer the questions it brings up, it is more of a representation of my love for my faith and the gospel that I cherish.

To answer your question of, "how could I wear such a thing in public?" My answer is plainly and perfectly represented in Romans 1:16: "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ." If I have a knowledge of how to attain true and everlasting happiness, hope, and peace then why would I not share it? Why wouldn't I wear it on my sleeve proudly for the world to see?

As a member of the LDS church I understand that everyone has a right to believe and the right to "worship how, where, or what they may," (article of faith 11) even if that means choosing not to believe in God at all. I believe in being respectful of others thoughts, beliefs, and opinions, however, I also believe in standing up for what I know to be true.

During our 20 minute conversation, you questioned and cast doubt about multiple aspects of my faith, especially about Joseph Smith. You asked how I, "could possibly know whether or not God and Jesus descended out of the heavens to a 12 year old boy, told him about a golden book that only he could translate, and tell him to make himself a new religion?" The answer: I don't know. However, I do know that that golden book was translated and published as The Book of Mormon. I have studied and read its pages for years. I have spent hours on my knees in prayer to know about the truths contained within this sacred text and I have received an answer. I know without a doubt that those golden plates contained the words of God, not to replace the Bible, but to stand by it as another witness of Christ. And if I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God, then I can have faith in the prophet who translated it. I can have faith that when a 14 year old boy knelt down in prayer, he received an answer far greater than he anticipated. I may not know for certainty that God and his son revealed themselves to a young boy seeking to know the truth about which church to join, but I believe with my whole heart that they did. That is what faith is; taking what you know and believing in "things hoped for but not seen" (Ether 12:6).

I add my written testimony to the many others out there that I know The Book of Mormon is true. I know that prayers are answered, and that Jesus Christ gave his life so that myself and everyone on this earth could have the blessing of repentance and the opportunity to return to live with God again. I know that "by small and simple things are great things brought to pass" (Alma 37:6), and that the smallest amount of faith can work miracles. I know that I am a child of a living God, and because of this I know that if I live worthily, I can be married in one of God's holy temples and have my family for time and all eternity.

I do not know your name or what experiences you have had with God, but I hope that one day you will be able to see this gospel the way I do. I hope that one day you will see how the light of the Saviors love can lift every burden and how dearly Heavenly Father loves you. I hope one day you will come to know for yourself the truth of The Book of Mormon and how richly and sincerely it can bless and touch lives. I pray that one day you will allow the gospel to enrich and bless your life like it has mine.

As for me, I opted to have "mormsquad" imprinted on the back of my warm up because, unlike my last name, my faith in Christ will never change. I will continue to "doubt my doubts before I doubt my faith", and continue to sport my #mormsquad attire, not to boast of myself, but because God has commanded that, "my people shall never be ashamed" (Joel 2:27). I will continue to live the gospel of Christ and wear my faith on my sleeve so "That the world may know that I love the Father; and as the father gave me commandment, even so I do." (John 14:31).

Sincerely,
A Latter-day Saint

No comments:

Post a Comment