Monday 28 January 2019

It's Here

Ladies and gentleman, may I please have your attention? Noise ensues. You know, the rustle that follows any plea for quiet. Thank you. Below is an update from the life and mission of Elder Smith.

The experience happened. Elder Smith and Elder Smith teaching about Joseph Smith. One family burst out laughing. Some thought we were brothers (and descendants of the prophet). Others gave us looks of confusion, intrigue, and disbelief. All-in-all, it was splendid.

One investigator walked in a little late and Elder Smith said, "From the moment she walked in, you could tell she knew something." And that she did. Yesterday she was baptised.

Prior to her baptism she shared, "Now I apologise. Before, it was difficult."

How often do we do that? When we hurt someone, or make a mistake. Intentionally or unintentionally. Do we justify our actions, or our words? Or do we respond in a spirit of repentance, out of love for our brothers and sisters, and a desire to mend their wounds? Do we say the words, "I'm sorry?" Do we mean it?

That's what the gospel does., if we let it. Our heart is changed, and new perspective enters in. Greater perspective. Greater love.

Speaking of perspective, Elder Bringgold has new glasses - his very first pair. He didn't think he needed until he tried on mine. If you can wear my glasses comfortably, you need a pair yourself.

It's the same with the gospel. Many don't know they need it until they try it on. That's why we invite people to 'experiment upon the word'. Try it. And see for yourself the blessings that come. I began singing, "A whole new world. A new fantastic point of view." Elder Bringgold thought it was appropriate.

His optometrist now has appointments to see us. Along with an array of others. Which leaves much to be said about our gate buzzing efforts - or lack thereof. We've been busy. I know, it's not much of an excuse. Though, even then the Lord places people in our path. or example, the other day a lady stops us and says, "You only visit one family this side. That's not fair." We now have two interested families and ongoing invitations in that small area.

Even our investigators are taking us to see other people. By that, we were able to meet a lady who saw missionaries three years back. No, she didn't meet them, she simply saw them. When her son told her that we were visiting his friend (including his brothers and uncle), she requested our meeting through the grapevine.

All it took was one young man sharing what he'd been learning. That lady had since lost her sight, but could still hear and feel the truthfulness of the message we brought.

On Friday evening, my companion and I went out to conduct a number of baptismal interviews. The family I was opportuned to meet expressed some angst they initially had toward The Book of Mormon and the Church's claim that it is the only true and living church upon the face of the earth (not the individuals, but the organisation).

The mother shared an experience where she prayed to know, because she didn't believe. Her sister, not knowing she was investigating the Church, shared a dream where she was told to follow her sister. "That was my answer," she said. "I told my sister I was attending The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and God had just told her to join me."

We will now have the privilege of teaching her sister.

Now, not everyone that knows follows. A little while back we called a former investigator. He said, "My life is good right now. I'm fasting. I'm praying. I don't need to read The Book of Mormon."

He later learnt that we were teaching a man near his house - with our first counselor in the Elders Quorum Presidency. He came over to return The Book of Mormon and pamphlets through our member who met him outside. Our member said, "No. You talk to them yourself. Go inside, wait for the lesson to finish, and then speak to them."

He did that. And the lesson was powerful. Our investigator (not the former investigator), who previously wasn't interested shared how he prayed, read, and found an answer. He wanted to be baptised. I turned to our former investigator and asked, "And where is that authority, to baptise, found?" He squirmed. He uhmmed and ahed. He knew the answer. You could see it. And I was there when he first received a witness. He turned to my companion and changed the subject, "So where are you from?"

At the end of the lesson he asked, "What do I do with these books?
"Keep them," I said. "Read them. They're yours."
"Oh," he muttered, putting them back in his bag.

We all have our agency. Simply knowing is not enough. We need to choose whether or not we'll accept what God has given us.

On another note, some members are quite honest. I asked a young girl whose dad'll be baptising her soon, "Do I look like a missionary?"
We were doing service at their house, and needed to change attire to teach their neighbour, then return to their house to continue.
"Yes," she said. "Except for that candy cane sticker."
Elder Adams, our first assistant to the mission president, put it on my planner. My options are: tear the planner (one of those stickers) or leave it.
I'm the sentimental kind, so you can probably guess what I chose.

Another member decided to ask who my favourite companion has been so far. I have a list - and my sons are definitely on it (even though I struggle horrendously with messages and phone calls).
"Elder Thorkelson," I said.
"Really?" he turned, face distorted. "Why?"
"What's that supposed to mean?" I asked.
"You two are so different."
"You two are like chalk and cheese," piped another.
"I'm surprised you two got along as well as you did."
"I'm surprised you didn't fight more."
"Are you kidding me? Those two quarreled like brothers all the time!"
"Excuse me!" came a refreshing tone. "I think the two of them complemented each other very nicely."
Coversation over. Thank you!
That man! He's not even around, yet his name keeps coming up. Yes, those quotes are from different conversations. None of which I initiated.

Speaking of which, an investigator we found while caroling. No words. We have him. And soon we'll have his daughter.

That sounded sinister. Perhaps remove the evil mastermind tone?

We also had dinner at a member's house. Okay, we have dinner at many members' houses. One we helped move had half the complex join us - one of which came to church - go member missionary work! Another experimented with a new dish and said, "If it's good, tell me. If it's not, lie to me."

And finally, for those of you in distress. I arrive home on Thursday, the 9th of February 2017, at 11:30am.

1. "Sometimes I feel like Heavenly Father gives us a hundred reasons to believe, then a few to not believe, just to see if we really want to."
2. "What does the gospel do? It makes friends of me and you."
3. "Essential to God's plan of happiness is service. We stand in the way of that plan when we refuse to serve, or when we refuse to allow others to serve us. We must allow others to serve us."
4. "As Latter-day Saints, we don't covenant to carry others, we covenant to carry one another."
5. "Life is 10% what you make it and 90% how you take it."
6. "With the gospel, we are changed. Not our circumstances. We become stronger."
7. "I know we're not perfect, but the Saviour is."
8. "You will contribute a verse to this great play of life."

Oh, and we watched the Joseph Smith movie with a few people. A new investigator exclaimed, "Joseph Smith is iqhawe!" Or, in other words, "Joseph Smith is the man!"
On another note, an investigator called me Joseph. He's new. No one had taught him about Joseph Smith yet.
"Is that not your name?" Why did I think that was your name?"
You should've seen my companion's face. He was being serious?

All that aside, the gospel is true. It'll continue to live in my heart, and I pray the hearts of those I've taught.

No comments:

Post a Comment