Monday 28 September 2015

News

It's that time again - when the news comes, and someone ends up leaving (usually yours truly). Fortunately, the work goes on, and keeps you occupied until the night time comes. That is, unless the day dawns on a long weekend.

Then, sure enough, appointments fall through, the sun blazes, and nobody cares enough to listen. Either away, or busy, and that includes the members. So you start off unsuccessful at the market, and spend the remainder of the day being turned down at parks, street corners, and homes. Even the hospital is emptier than usual.

We end our day with the only appointment that pulls through, and they have visitors - braai and social time. We cover the essentials to aid progression, and return to the boarding to find that the news has yet to come.

Even Sunday morning comes - and, still, nothing! This isn't normal.

"I have a sick feeling," my companion says.

"Why?" I ask.

"I think one of us is leaving."

We complete the service blocks at Church, commemorating the 30th anniversary of the South Africa Johannesburg Temple, and as everyone is leaving my companion gets a call.

"Elder Smith! I have your ticket number-"

No!

"You're going to Chatsworth."

Oh my days! Really?!

In the words of one of our progressing families, "That's obvious. I need you, and he needs you."

Elder Willombe will be my first more than six week companion. Is my time spent moving around coming to an end? Dun, dun, dun.

No comments:

Post a Comment