Tuesday 8 September 2015

A Little Bit of Fun

Who has ever played The Sims™? If you have, have you ever noted (and appreciated) the comically quirky nature of eccentric, or excitable sims? When they succeed at something, win a game, or become elated, the toss one hand in the air and exclaim, "Woohoo!"

My companion does that. We were at a Mormon Helping Hands project at the local hospital, and he succeeded in removing the lid from the paint tin. Yes, and that got him excited. And not just that, for even the littlest of things.

Not to mention him suddenly breaking out into song and dance. I don't understand. I don't. It's like President Zackrison took the most comical missionary, and the gravest, and put them together.

He's just so happy. Now, I'm not completely morbid, or depressive, but sometimes I'm just left flabbergasted. Indeed, the Lord does have a sense of humour, and so does my companion, yet I just don't seem to get it.

That being said, I do love him. It makes for an interesting companionship, and since the work is booming, it must be good. I'm curious as to what I'll learn from him persona-wise. My last companion got me saying, "Oh my days..."

As for the work, we're helping a solid intellectual quit smoking, and prepare for baptism. We'll be teaching, and baptising a dry Mormon (member at heart, just needs to enter the waters) in due course. Tackling part-member families. Declaring truths to large families with strong religious backgrounds (lots of potential there). And preparing children of record (born in the Church) whose parents are less-active (working with them as well).

My companion and I will soon be appearing in the local newspaper.

We'll grab 'em souls where we can get 'em.

Now that sounded a little bit sinister...

Uhmmm, I mean, we'll share wherever we can.

Our ward mission leader has been helping out phenomenally, telling us to work and have fun at the same time. So we'll be preparing a Friday Night, Game Night, Date Night for the young couples in the area (active, less-active, non-member alike). It sounds like fun.

And then there are the tender mercies of the Lord all around. One of the families we've been working with has been struggling, very much so. But as the Gospel penetrates their hearts, they're changing. Our last encounter showed a family happy to be together, and to do all it takes to build upon a rock solid foundation.

It's true, my brothers and sisters. It really is. The Gospel can change lives, and all for the better. It's just up to us, whether we'll accept or reject it. It's up to us to make that choice. God will never force, or coerce us to do something we don't want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment