Wednesday 15 July 2015

Welkom na die Kroonstad

Or, in other words, Welcome to the Crown City. You heard it! The mission life continues, with Elder Smith entering into his third area, with his fourth companion - Elder Santagane, hailing from the neighbouring land of Botswana.

Yes, the people are different. This time, Afrikaans. From Sotho, to English, to Afrikaans. The congregation, too, is different. This time, a group. From a branch (>35 active members), to a ward (>100 active members), to a group (>11 active members).

I've only just begun the new transfer, but the work is already under way. It turns out that missionaries weren't able to work in the area this last transfer due to certain complications, and already the challenges have begun to set in. It won't be easy, but it will be possible - with the Lord's help.

Already, I've met a number of interesting persons, with a number of interesting backgrounds, and a number of challenging concerns. And the pattern of people opening up, shedding their tears, and beginning to trust in the Lord has already begun.

A fortunate change has been to teach the Restoration of the Gospel of Jesus Christ to three different persons in one day, all of whom accepting the invitation to be baptised.

Not to mention, continuing to learn. Yes, there is always more, and I can feel myself growing. And no, that's not just a reference to the meat on my bones. I can already see the jaws begin to drop.

The other day I read the account of Prof. Mynhardt, a nonmember who translated the Book of Mormon from English to Afrikaans.

Hearing him witness that it was indeed translated from Egyptian, with Hebrew, further confirmed what I knew to be true. Especially considering that the knowledge and science of the ancient tongue did not exist during the time Joseph Smith translated the sacred record. Read more.

And more recently, my respect for Emma Hale-Smith (Joseph Smith's wife, first Relief Society General President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) has grown beyond measure. Don't get me wrong, I've always admired her. My appreciation has just grown, especially considering the view many have that she lost her faith towards the end. Of which, no evidence exists. In fact, reading her final journal entry makes me believe otherwise.

To hear song tribute for Emma, go here.

The journey in Kroonstad has only begun. Here's to the rest of it. I pray that the Lord continues to bless you in all that you set out to do. And I continue to exhort, put your trust in God, and let Him guide your path forward. He cares about your success. He cares about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment