Thursday 19 February 2015

Day One at the MTC

First day at the Mission Training Center; it has finally arrived. I am safe, I am well, and I am happy.

Let me start with the day. Basic morning packing and a drive down to Roodepoort, where I was welcomed by President and Sister Collins. I received my name tags, only to find that I am not the only Elder Smith at the MTC.

Yes, there is another Smith. Shocker! His name is Christian Scott Smith from Washington, USA. Fortunately, I guess, he's not serving in South Africa Durban, rather, in Ugandah, and he's confidently loud (unlike myself).

I was the first to arrive at the room I'll be sleeping, so I got to choose my bed (room 8). The place is really nice. Clean.

We filled out a personal history questionnaire and did our medical history, just for admin purposes. And then I had an interview with President Collins. Guess what? I forgot my suit jacket. You see, I said I'd forget something. They were, however, kind enough to lend me a spare they had in one of the garages.

The interview went well. We did Doctrine and Covenants 4:2:

"Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."

So this is my invitation to you, take these words to heart. Serve the Lord, our God, with all your heart; love the work, love the people, and care for them. Then with all your might; be determined, and give a concerted effort. Study in your mind, think of the Lord and all His blessing; "let your thoughts be garnished with virtue". And never forget to labour with your strength, propelled by might and determination, to do the Lord's work wherever ye may be.

We just had lunch; meat pie, chips and veggies. I'm getting to know the people slowly and look forward to what the MTC has to offer.

Oh, and before I forget, the setting apart was amazing. I met with Bishop Kirchmann and President Msiza at Alberton Chapel with my mother and sister. The blessing was powerful, the Spirit was felt, and I'm truly looking forward to the fulfilling of these words.

May the Lord bless you, and may your days be filled with opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment